St Mary’s Church

St Mary’s Anglican Church in Greyville has a beautifully preserved monument to the fallen of WW1. The tower was donated to the church by Thomas Davis in memory of his son, Howard who’d been a member of their choir. Set in a busy traffic circle, the impressive tower is hard to miss.

st-marys-overview

Beneath the tower sits the crucifix with two inscriptions below it, the first reading, “Is it nothing to you all ye who pass by?” followed by “The men whose names are recorded here died in the Great War 1914-1918. All they had hoped for, all they had they gave, to save mankind – themselves they scorned to save.”

st-marys-arch

The panels filled with names are numbered, starting with the first directly to the left of the arch, the second to the right, the third to the left, and so forth. On the wall, the panels are ordered 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, 1, (arch) 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12. The photo below shows the array of panels to the left of the arch.

st-marys-left-panel

Co-ordinates:  29°50’20.59″S    31° 1’6.87″E

Address: 8 Windermere Road, Greyville


INDIVIDUAL PANELS

Panel 1

st-marys-panel-2

Panel 2

Panel 3

Panel 4

Panel 4

Panel 5

Panel 5

Panel 6

Panel 6

Panel 7

Panel 7

Panel 8

Panel 8

Panel 9

Panel 9

Panel 10

Panel 10

Panel 10

Panel 11

Panel 12

Panel 12

 

Advertisements